The Sweet Touch of Melancholy.

History has passed me by.

‘Tis with a sweet touch of melancholy,

I reflect upon my mood today,

‘Twas one of a multiple of simple sayings,

My Irish gran’ had perchance to say..

*

“What you have not gained by age forty-five,

You will never have, no matter the age you survive”.

Now here I am, accrued my three score and ten,

And what I have not gained comes to taunt me again.

*

My moment in history has indeed passed me by,

That moment most desirous for myself to say,

“I am surrounded by what best pleases me, I may,

Now indulge in delightful fantasies, night and day”.

*

But now, in this ghastly, digitalised, parody of life,

I tread soft footfalls to avoid unnecessary strife,

Trying to conjure those spirits of esoteric, fantastic ,

Who do nought but tease me, dancing delightfully erotic.

*

My moment in history may have passed me by,

But in this velvet hiatus of aged life I lay,

Kaleidoscope dreams embracing me by night,

To secure me from snares the wild world lays.

*

And though I ought regret those few chances lost,

They were but fliting moments, chanced on a coin’s toss,

So ‘twould be churlish to recall such opportunity missed,

Then go curse life and all it promised..as but a Judas kiss.

*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog